This morning I have written to the Chancellor, ahead of the Budget announcements tomorrow.
I am calling on him to prioritise:
• Giving public sector employees and the communities in which they live and work a boost by scrapping the pay cap and providing the money from central government to do this. Teachers, Nurses, Local Authority employees and all public sector workers need a pay rise.
• Investment more widely across the public sector giving local authorities, the NHS, the Police Force, Schools and all others the money they need to deliver the important services we all rely on.
• Making available the finances for the infrastructure projects that will benefit local people. The reintroduction of the South East Northumberland rail link, investment at employment sites at Energy Central, Ashwood Business Park and Lynemouth, making the A1 Morpeth to Edinburgh dual carriageway in its entirety and providing the finances to ensure our children are taught in modern buildings.
• Pausing the roll out of Universal Credit so that people throughout the constituency are not plunged into poverty.
• And ensuring that investment is made to provide people in my constituency the opportunity of an appropriate home by both stimulating investment in the right kinds of property building in the right places, building a new generation of council houses and providing the monies to improve socially rented properties.